Google Maps has become an essential tool for navigation, helping us find our way through unfamiliar roads and reaching our destinations with ease. However, there may be instances when you want to exit or stop navigation on Google Maps. Whether you’ve reached your destination or simply want to take a detour, knowing how to exit navigation can save you time and frustration.
In this article, we will explore various methods to exit or stop navigation on Google Maps. From simple steps to advanced techniques, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and discover how you can regain control of your Google Maps app!
How to Exit Navigation on Google Maps
Here, we will outline several methods to exit navigation on Google Maps. So, select the one that suits your device.
Method 1: Using the Back Button
If you’re using Google Maps on your smartphone, the easiest way to exit navigation is by using the back button. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Google Maps application on your device.
2. If you’re currently navigating, the app will display the navigation screen.
3. Locate the back button on your device, usually positioned at the bottom or top left corner of the screen.
4. Tap the back button to exit navigation.
5. You will now return to the main Google Maps screen, where you can explore other features or exit the app altogether.
Method 2: Voice Command
Did you know that Google Maps supports voice commands? By utilizing voice recognition technology, you can exit navigation with a simple voice command. Here’s how:
1. Ensure that you have voice commands enabled on your device.
2. While navigating, tap the microphone icon on the Google Maps screen.
3. Say “Exit Navigation” or “Stop Navigation” clearly and concisely.
4. Google Maps will acknowledge your command and exit the navigation mode.
5. You’re now free to use other features of the app or close it as desired.
Method 3: Swipe Down Gesture
For those who prefer gestures over buttons, Google Maps offers a convenient swipe-down gesture to exit navigation. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Google Maps app on your device and start navigation.
2. While in navigation mode, swipe down from the top edge of the screen.
3. The app will respond to the gesture and exit the navigation mode.
4. You will be redirected to the main Google Maps screen, ready to explore other options.
Method 4: Using the Navigation Icon
Another method to exit navigation on Google Maps is by using the navigation icon itself. This icon appears on the screen during navigation and allows for easy access to navigation-related features. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Open Google Maps and begin navigating.
2. Locate the navigation icon on the screen, usually a blue arrow pointing in the direction of your destination.
3. Tap the navigation icon to access additional options.
4. From the menu that appears, select “Exit navigation” or a similar option.
5. Google Maps will exit the navigation mode, and you will be taken back to the main screen.
Method 5: Clearing the App from Recent Apps
If you want to completely exit the Google Maps app, including the navigation session, you can use the “Clear All” option from the Recent Apps screen. Follow these steps:
1. While on the Google Maps app, press the Recent Apps button on your device. This
button is usually represented by a square or a series of vertical lines, depending on your device.
2. The Recent Apps screen will appear, displaying all the apps currently running in the background.
3. Swipe horizontally or vertically to locate the Google Maps app.
4. Once you find the Google Maps app, swipe it left or right, or tap the “Clear All” button to close the app and end the navigation session.
5. Congratulations! You have successfully exited the navigation on Google Maps.
Now that we have explored different methods to exit or stop navigation on Google Maps, let’s address some common questions and provide additional tips for a seamless experience.
How do I stop navigation on Google Maps while driving?
If you’re actively driving and want to stop navigation, it is recommended to pull over to a safe location before making any adjustments to your device. Once you’ve found a suitable spot, you can use any of the methods mentioned above, such as the back button, voice command, swipe-down gesture, or the navigation icon, to stop navigation on Google Maps.
Can I pause navigation on Google Maps temporarily?
Yes, Google Maps allows you to pause navigation temporarily without exiting the app. To pause navigation, simply tap the “Pause” button on the navigation screen. This feature is particularly useful when you need to make a quick stop or take a short detour without losing your route.
Will my navigation resume if I exit Google Maps and open it again?
Yes, if you exit Google Maps and open it again after a short while, your navigation should resume automatically. However, it is always a good practice to double-check your route and ensure that the app has accurately recorded your intended destination.
Are there any voice commands to resume navigation on Google Maps?
Certainly! Google Maps offers several voice commands to resume navigation effortlessly. Simply say “Resume navigation” or “Continue navigation,” and the app will pick up where you left off, guiding you to your destination.
How can I avoid accidentally exiting navigation on Google Maps?
To avoid accidentally exiting navigation on Google Maps, you can enable the confirmation prompt. This prompt will ask for your confirmation before exiting the navigation mode. To enable it, go to the Google Maps settings, locate the “Navigation settings,” and toggle the “Confirmation prompt” option to the on position.
Can I exit navigation on Google Maps using a smartwatch?
Yes, if you have Google Maps installed on your smartwatch, you can exit navigation directly from your wrist. SO, simply open the app, find the navigation screen, and look for the corresponding option to exit or stop navigation.
Exiting or stopping navigation on Google Maps is a straightforward process once you know the right methods. By using the back button, voice commands, swipe gestures, or the navigation icon, you can seamlessly exit navigation and regain control over the app. Additionally, features like pausing navigation and resuming with voice commands enhance the overall user experience.
Next time you find yourself needing to exit or stop navigation on Google Maps, refer back to this guide, and choose the method that works best for you. Remember to prioritize safety and convenience while using navigation features, especially when driving.